I'm happy to announce that Chickadee 0.6.0 has been released!
Chickadee is a game development toolkit for Guile. Chickadee aims to provide all the features that parenthetically inclined game developers need to make 2D and 3D games in Scheme.
As Chickadee is still alpha software, several breaking changes were introduced in this release. Fortunately, the changes are mostly related to naming so upgrading an existing program to Chickadee 0.6.0 should be fairly straightfoward. Keep reading for the full scope of these changes.
Notable improvements and changes:
(chickadee render ...)module namespace to
(chickadee graphics ...)so please update your
- New OpenGL 2 compatibility (previous releases required 3+)
load-fontprocedure now loads TrueType/OpenType font support via FreeType (use
load-bitmap-fontto load AngelCode formatted bitmap fonts now)
- New, experimental vector path rendering API (see Vector Paths in the manual)
- Removed shapes module (use vector paths module instead)
- New 3x3 transformation matrix data type
- New OpenGL stencil test support
- New OpenGL multisampling support
- Improved OpenGL depth testing support
load-tilesetconvenience procedure (see Textures in the manual)
(chickadee math vector)module
- Small tweaks to
(chickadee graphics tiled)module (updates to
draw-tile-mapcalls required, see Tile Maps in the manual)
- Removed unnecessary
scancodeargument from key press/release hooks
- New polling support for agendas via
wait-untilprocedures (see Scripting in the manual)
- Fixed bug in
heap-remove!that was making agendas behave very incorrectly
- Fixed bug in
array-list-delete!that was holding onto references to deleted objects
- Fixed bugs in
- Fix bugs with viewports and framebuffers in relation to screen clearing
source tarball: https://files.dthompson.us/chickadee/chickadee-0.6.0.tar.gz
See the Chickadee project page for more information.
Bug reports, bug fixes, feature requests, and patches are welcomed.
P.S. - If you make something with Chickadee, feel free to share it with me via email or Mastodon. I'd love to see what people are doing with this library and get feedback about what to prioritize for future releases.